The N-Scale U25C Project
I made new horns from
brass turnings, added number boards, fiber optic class and nose lights, and
replaced the ladder on the other side with brass ladder stock. I also
heavily weathered the model, and put a piece of stock between the cab and
battery boxes for a better appearance.
This is the start of the
modified Atlas U25B shell. It was a DCC equip unit painted in rock island. (the
only DCC equip U-Boat I could find, and the basis of this loco-bash)
I thought about using a
U30C as the basis of this project, but the shell required too many modifications
to be convincing, and then I would have to modify the loco for DCC too. Also
U30C's are just plain too hard to find in N-Scale, and I doubt it would run
better than this baby!
I have to modify the
trucks from B to C, and will use a fake styrene wheel that will ride just above
the rails, yet give the illusion of being a 6 axle truck. (Sneaky Huh?)
Here is picture of the
mold form I will use. I will cut the leaf springs out, and cut some truck frame
material out to insert the new axle. Although not shown, I have also
replaced the yellow LED's with white ones.
Here is the mold I made
for the B to C truck axle modification. The next picture shows the trucks
modified and the white LED's installed. I also installed a red LED in the nose.
Here is the modified
shell, after painting, and gloss cote, but before decals applied.
Fuel Tank and Handrail
extension finish the bodywork off!
This is the Finished
Model, except for some fiber optic cable for the red mars light and class lights
in the nose. The red LED is installed, but I still need to find a white surface
mount LED for the class lights.
By the way, this baby runs sweet! The fake wheels don't pick points, or rub rail. Unless you turn the loco upside down, you cannot tell that the middle wheels are fake. Granted the measurements are not perfect, but the model does catch the flavor of the prototype.